Shall we dance?


The other day, I found myself thinking that here at home that there is no loud music, as I used to have at my parents'. I found myself realizing that with Ipods, Iphones etc music is heard individually or through applications that we discover together or by ourselves. Dancing or listening to music, always or almost always, when we schedule the activity, or when we have my sisters  visiting us, who can not do anything without music playing along! 

Suddenly, Francisca began to speak of the conversations she had with her friend Barbara about music, Queen and other oldies. I realized then, that I as a mother that considers herself  always on track of everything and very hip, was failing miserably! I was observing her as she sang one of  her favorite songs while thinking 'how come, I have not shared with her any of this?!'. I could not believe that I, who have always heard music at home, was not doing it with her who is dance, music all embedded in her beautiful soul ... I felt I was being overtaken, and  then I said OK! It's time for VH1 indoctrination!´ In this channel where there is mostly music of the 90's, 80's and 70's (I'm not sure why in this particular order!) I thought we could start here, as a kind of musical indoctrination! á la minute!

Together, we began to travel back in time, see her with her eyes wide open delighted to hear Boy George, Modern Talking or Eurythmics, watching at the video clips: the stories, the hair do's, and of course the clothing. Nothing was going unnoticed, it was the musical Eureka. My daughter is officially a Hipster!

I clearly went on memory lane to those Saturday late afternoons, when my mother and her friends gathered at a friend´s house to watch all together (often women only!) Top Mais (a Portuguese TV music show pretty much about Billboards) to see who was leading the Top charts that week. I still remember, when I first heard 'We Are the World', I remember thinking that after that song, which I believed to be the most beautiful song ever, no one could ever rewrite or create something more beautiful, ever. (Too many 'Ever's' to show how much I was in to it!) Ah! The innocence of a child! Those evenings were sacred, I was a 7/8 year-old girl who was always informed of the latest music and film news (or so I thought), those moments when I was marveled but all of it and then I dreamed and dreamed ...

Today our kids have so many distractions, so many possibilities to be well informed (sometimes too much, well before their age), that sometimes their sense of wonder or amazement and novelty is almost non existent. Later in adolescence, I used to watch MTV to follow the latest news about music. Nowadays, much to my regret  I have to apply a certain censorship to almost with all music channels: extreme sexuality for children and as a feminist as I see women mostly portrayed naked as a objects to sell some CDs. It leaves me quite sad and with the profound feeling that we somehow regressed in this respect, and this is clearly not a message I want to go reach out to Francisca.

As a kid, we had to wait at least a week or so to hear the top charts, then we recorded on tapes after tapes, some songs on top of one another following the news. It's official she's a little hipster, and I am getting old! Oh boy! Can you hear me speaking??

Her favorite now!

Well now, we  listen now and then to VH1, or on Youtube via Iphone placed in the dock to hear it out loud, together and sometimes dancing along. I have already overcome the fact that she was shockingly surprised by the fact that I was a child in the 80´s as if it were not just a thing of the past century but 'of centuries ago mom!' now she says 'Mom this is music! love it! '





|Mãe, a menina dança? |

No outro dia dei por mim a pensar que cá em casa não se houve música aos altos berros, como eu fazia em casa dos meus pais. Dei por mim a realizar que com os Ipods, Iphones etc a música é ouvida individualmente ou através de aplicações que vamos descobrindo juntas ou cada uma para seu lado. Dançamos ou ouvimos música, mas sempre ou quase sempre, quando agendamos a actividade, tirando quando tenho cá em casa as minhas irmãs que não conseguem fazer nada sem ter música a acompanhar e aí a festa é non-stop! Mesmo!

Quando nesse mesmo dia começou a falar das conversas que tem com a amiga Barbara sobre música, os Queen e outros oldies, percebi que eu como mãe que se julga a par de tudo e muito hip, estava a falhar redondamente! Fiquei a olhar para ela enquanto me cantarolava uma das músicas que mais gosta agora e pensei 'como é que eu não partilhei com ela nada disto?!'. Nem queria acreditar que eu, que sempre ouvira música em casa não o estava a fazer com ela que é dança, arte, música tudo incorporado neste pequeno ser iluminado...senti que estava a a ficar ultrapassada e disse ' OK! Está na hora de VH1'. Neste canal onde há maioritariamente musica dos anos 90, 80 e 70 (não sei o porquê desta ordem!) achei que podíamos começar por aqui, como uma espécie de indoutrinação musical! á la minute

Juntas começamos a viajar no tempo,  ver os olhos dela arregalados enquanto se deliciava a ouvir Boy George, Modern Talking ou Eurythmics, e a observar atentamente os clips e as suas histórias, os cabelos e as roupas nada estava a passar despercebido, foi a Eureka musical. A minha filha é oficialmente uma Hipster!

Eu, claramente viajei no tempo e lembrei-me daqueles finais de tarde aos Sábados, quando a minha mãe e suas amigas se reuniam em casa de uma delas para vermos todas juntas (quase sempre só mulheres!) o Top Mais e quem liderava o Top de vendas da semana. Ainda me lembro de quando ouvi pela primeira vez o 'We are the World', lembro-me de pensar que depois daquela música, que achava simplesmente linda, nunca mais ninguém poderia escrever ou criar algo mais belo, nunca. Aquela, era o auge da música e que tudo o que viria depois nunca chegaria ao seu patamar. Ah! A inocência de uma criança! Aqueles fins de tarde eram sagrados, eu uma menina de 7/8 anos estava sempre a par das últimas novidades sem excepção, naqueles momentos em que ficava maravilhada e sonhava sonhava...

Hoje as nossas crianças têm tantas distracções, tantas possibilidades para estar a par das novidades que o sentido de maravilha ou espanto e novidade, quase que desapareceu. Mais tarde na adolescência, vi a MTV onde seguia tudo sobre música, hoje com muita pena minha censuro quase todos os canais de música, pela sexualidade extrema para crianças e para uma feminista como eu, ver mulheres quase sempre nuas para venderem uns CDs deixa-me triste e com a sensação de que regredimos nesse aspecto, e claramente não é uma mensagem que quero passar para a Francisca.

Nós tínhamos que esperar pelo menos uma semana para ouvir o top, depois gravávamos cassete atrás de cassete, umas musicas em cima de outras com as novidades que íamos ouvindo. É oficial ela é Hipster, e eu tou velha! Já viram esta conversa?


Bem resumindo, agora vamos ouvindo música ou na VH1, ou no Youtube através do Iphone colocado no dock para ouvir aos 'altos berros', sempre a duas e dançando, revivendo. Já ultrapassei a sua surpresa quando refiro 1980, como se não fosse coisa do Século passado mas de 'há séculos mãe!' porque agora diz-me 'Mãe esta música é que é! Adoro!'




amniotico

Sónia is the founder and writer of Amniotico- Parenting, Travel and Tales. She began this blog in 2005 with two posts about parenting, the year she had daughter Francisca. Then life happened. Now since 2014 with a whole new focus on Parenting and Travel. Sonia is also an international Human Rights and Elections expert and as such has worked with the United Nations and European Union in many parts of the globe, including conflict and war torn countries while being a single mom!