Expecting, when you least expect





I've always dreamed of becoming a mother. Dreamed of getting married, going through all states, said 'normal'. The court, the request on a knee, the bling-bling, white wedding followed by a house with wooden floors (love wooden floors). Anyway , I've always dreamed with the cliche, and while studying at the University I was very close to achieve this (or so I thought, until I discovered the betrayal of my then, charming prince but more on that in another post). 

The truth is that, deep down I have always known that I would be a single mother, maybe not my whole life but it would start this way. I just knew it.. My grandmother was a single mother after her divorce and raised three daughters alone, my great-grandmother too. I've always been very independent emotionally, and the dream of being a mother was above a white wedding. The problem is that, I did not know it at the time, that I was about to prove to myself that the dream of being able to be a mother was on top of a whole lot more.


So in 2004, while interning at SIC Television as a result of an invitation, and while doing my networking for a future which I believed would certainly be bright in the world of international relations. One morning I woke up, as all previous mornings at least for a month now, with an eagerness for the following evening just for the lust of falling asleep all over again! 'Another minute, com'on! Just one more minute! OK now! humpf ... I am always so tired, I know I'm too lazy but I think this is too much! But what is this? The bra is small? How is it possible? Just yesterday it was a perfect fit!! Too perfect actually! OK, as I can recall I made no implants!'. On the way to work something was different. 'The worst is that now everyone seems to be staring right into my now-rediscovered cleavage. Even the woman who daily sells me the newspaper, who never ever had a second look at me! Not today! Today, I got a 'Good Morning Miss!'.'  Still shocked, I realized that I was LATE! Not, late for the job, the very other delay that we women know so well. And it can only mean one thing. 'Oh my goodness I'm a little late! Not that it never happened before, so it should be OK, right? '- Wrong.


To spend the day in front of the computer in a closed room it was not going to help for sure. I remember walking around all day, and wishing it was the end of the day all over again. The worst was that my laziness was at plain sight to everyone. Even if I was the almost-invisible intern, normally I would be a fast-paced one. Not today, today I was wandering the halls and doing any task as if I  had to carry the Obelix's rock.


The headaches did not help either, and my hypochondriac side told me 'OK! Oh my God !!!! I'm seriously ill! That's it! All these symptoms are evidence of this, and quite likely, a deadly one. I am weak, dizzy, swollen ... the delay is already a lack of blood in my body! '. Step One: Find the company's doctor. Quite quickly he asks: - how old? -27 -I answer.  Without looking at me he verbalizes something, that I fail to understand and then hands me a paper with prescriptions and says:'OK, take this and this..' and before he finishes I jump and ask 'this is?'. Annoyed and with a smirk on his face he replies 'it may well be the virus of a pregnancy, take this test as soon as possible!'


I left the office a little irritated, 'it's obvious that I am not pregnant! I mean, he did not even bother to prescribe me some OTHER tests to invalidate the fact that I may be seriously ill, and asks me a pregnancy test just because?? Or is it??' (LONG SIGH)



Syrian, Jordan Border foto Ana Baião (Jornal Expresso)

For days,  I walked with the prescription inside my bag. But, I honestly believed that at any time soon my period would come back and everything would go back to normal. Including my energy levels! It had always been like this, so why would it be any different now? I mean, I dated Takis for so long, and never got pregnant! Ever! So it would not be now, now that I am not the slightest prepared. At the end of a relationship that lasted little more than the thaw of an ice cube. Now that I was an intern trying to move on in my career? Now that, I would travel just after the internship? Now that I had my whole life planned? Now that my relationship was over and I was  all alone? No, certainly not! But that prescription was stalking me from the inside of my bag and would not let me focus on my future that I had to carefully planned before having a child of my own!! Not before I had to deal with student debts! How could I have a child  any time soon now ?!


For years, several doctors told me that if I were to get pregnant most likely I would have to go through some treatment. I really wanted to become a mother, in spite of everything, it was dream. A dream that was almost shattered when the doctors told me that. While I believed it would still be possible, I thought that this kind of blessing was reserved only to certain kinds of persons. But during that week of November 2004, the timing could not be the worst! Much less, as the result of a relationship that lasted as long as a summer breeze! 


Thankfully, the week was over and I could not wait to spend the weekend with my mother and sisters. During the weekend, I could rest my head and let my thoughts and dilemmas, that sounded soap opera like, behind. But the problem would be when I would look in to their eyes, those of my mom and sisters, I mean. We have that kind of mafia-like relationship, in which to hide something is not a  very good idea. Because they suspect immediately, just like a FBI agent on a man-hunt. We are like this to each other. At that time our mother was still among us. An excessive love that led us to say both 'love you' as well as  'just fuck off', not to my mother of course! My mother, my companion in all situations was the one I most feared. Not for the fear in itself, but I feared to disappoint her. She is sick, cancer, and now dreams of becoming a grandmother but like any loving mother, she wants it to be a result of a stable situation, love...She passed away,August 2007.



Returning home was as I feared. As soon as I saw my, at the time teenage sisters, my heart sunk. After a short talk on gossip update, I opened my mouth and verbalized my fears:'-I'm afraid, I may be pregnant!' I muttered.-Oh, Really???- Catherine, the youngest of 14 years with a mischievous smile. -Sónia ... Do you really... think? Oh my God!'-  Asked calmly the very attentive wide-eyed Mariana, then 16. Tears downs our faces, we hugged as so often we had done since they were very little. Vowing for eternal love and unconditional support. As we arrived to the family home, after the initial laughter talking with my mother, we ended up staying just the two of us. Her beautiful green eyes, and tender smile, I had to tell her. There were many words, but looking her in the eyes I realize that really this was not the  right time. Time for any of this. So she told me in a very soft but firm voice, that we would do the test the  very next day, no questions asked. So  I went and bought a test, took it home and did it. Always thinking that it would be 'negative'! I sat on the toilet seat, waiting, as I was not able to leave the appliance even for a second, or do anything else while waiting. But, I could not face it either. Time was up and I had to face all my fears ... it was positive!


'Positive ??? How positive? Positive, so to say 'You're PREGNANT' positive '- thought to myself seriously scared. I called my mother who was soon followed by the two Hobbits (My sisters!). How to face them! And I, how was I feeling? My thoughts drifted in and out of my brain at a speed comparable only to that of speed cars illegally on the highway -' Oh mother! I am, really. Really pregnant! But it can not be right ... I will still do the other clinical test tomorrow and everything will be confirmed ... or not ... I have to think about it .... no...'- I was brutally interrupted by my mother who firmly said: - ' You had more sense when you were younger. Now you have to deal with it, you are 27 years!' oh my God - 'Deal with what? I do not know if that's even confirmed! Why now, that I have nothing? Now this? Oh my God! -I cursed. 'My God ?! God had to do with all this?...I have asked HIM so many times to be a mother? But now, with that guy?'. My mother was no longer in the room.


I took the test at the clinic ... Confirmed, of course. I knew it deep down, but wanted to make sure that would do the official thing. I did not think much, I had a being inside me, however I was only calculating the consequences for my professional life. I was skimping the internship with the excuse of asthma, a disease from which I really suffer, but rarely have asthma attacks. However, I needed the time to sort out my life.  I visited doctors, researched on the Internet and even a visit from a cousin who had just had twins would not demobilized me from what I had to do.


My mother said little more than: -'You have to decide by yourself! But time is passing, remember this.' Her eyes said much more, and the moodiness of my sisters combined with an inherent sadness to a situation that could not be taken lightly. Worst of all, every time I closed my eyes, there it was ... a small and chubby little baby hand! Thinking about it shook my heart, but that could not deter me from all my plans. Because that would mean loosing it all, would it not? That night I went to bed but I could not sleep and the next morning my mother said in my ear something that I can not recall completely, but I understood, then kissed me on the forehead. 


Again, why was I taking so long to decide? Why was it so hard to admit that maybe, just maybe, I was already happy to be a mother? That really, the circumstances were not ideal and the timing could not be worse, but it was the baby I've always wanted! 'I'll be Mother!' - Said it aloud suddenly, as a statement. Mother of a little being that will change my life forever and that will brighten me just with his/her presence! My mother returned home, I announced it among my now usual tears: - 'You know, I know it will not be easy, but I want this baby! It's my baby. I can not, not have it ... if God blessed me ... -'Oh dear daughter! I am so relieved, so much happier! This child cames to bless the family... every thing will be OK darling, you will see. ... I'm here!' 'I´m here.' I can still hear her saying those comfort words. We hugged deeply gratified by this decision and so happy because we had each other. As I was leaving the house, I met with my Hobbits and told them of my decision, I realized then that this decision affected the whole family. Invading it with a sense of happiness.

Despite the many obstacles, this was truly the beginning of the best phase of my life. I confirmed this feeling when the next day I went to the hospital with a small tummy ache. Minor complaints, but they wanted to observe me. I was told to undress and climb to a stretcher with two sides to put my legs. It was then that I remembered I had not done waxing! While I was still trying to overcome the shame, the doctor unexpectedly inserted me with an object to observe on the inside ...if it was not for that semi-funny position, I would not have seen for the first time my baby! The little heart sounding like music to me. 'I think I will cry!? I said, and I did. Who would not? The little heart so small hitting so hard. I felt that heart was already racing for me and mine for him/her. Love at first beat. Now, I was sure that I had taken the right decision! Happiness finally was living inside me.


This was my choice, my story. My own personal choice. At that time, in spite of everything,  I was a graduated woman, I had some work experience, driving license and even had traveled a bit. I was not yet financially independent, in fact it still took me some time as you can imagine. More on that, later. I had all the information available to prevent an unplanned pregnancy. Happened, but nothing is by chance and this is my story, my path. Each young or mature woman should essentially follow her heart, your self and then decide. People around you should advise and indicate several solutions without judging or imposing. My family knew that I would face difficulties, it would not be easy whatever my decision. But they were there. I am quite lucky.


To my mom.



|De esperanças, quando menos se está à espera | 

Sempre sonhei que queria ser mãe. Sonhava em casar, passar pelos estados todos ditos 'normais'. A corte, o pedido de joelho, o bling, o casamento de branco seguindo-se de uma casa com soalho de madeira (adoro chão de madeira). Enfim sempre sonhei com o cliché, e enquanto estudava na Universidade estive muito perto de o conseguir (pensava eu até ser traída etc e tal mas mais sobre isso numa outra crónica). A verdade é que, no fundo no fundo sempre soube que iria ser mãe solteira, talvez não a vida toda mas que iria começar assim. A minha avó foi mãe solteira depois de se divorciar e criou 3 filhas sozinha, a minha bisavó também. Eu sempre fui muito independente emocionalmente, e o sonho de ser mãe estava acima de uma casamento. O problema é que eu na altura não o sabia, mas estava prestes a provar a mim mesma que o sonho de poder vir a ser mãe estava a cima de muito mais coisas.

Assim em 2004, enquanto estagiava na SIC depois de ter sido convidada para o fazer, e enquanto fazia o meu networking por um futuro que a meu ver ira ser certamente brilhante no mundo das relações internacionais, acordei uma manhã como todas as anteriores manhãs pelo menos há um mês, com uma enorme vontade que fosse de noite novamente! 'Mais um minuto, vá lá só mais um! Ok agora é que é...sinto-me sempre tão cansada, sei que sou muito preguiçosa mas acho que isto é demais! Mas o que é isto? O soutien está pequeno? Como é que é possível se ainda há pouco me servia tão bem, bem demais aliás! Ok que eu me lembre não fiz nenhum implante!' O pior é que já a caminho do estágio parecia que não era só eu que havia reparado no aumento absurdo de copas, parecia que toda a gente olhava. Até aquela mulher que me vendia o diário e que me dava o troco todos os dias sem dizer palavra ou sequer olhar para mim de tão atarefada que estava a ler a Maria. Neste dia ela disse ´Bom dia´. Eu pelo meu lado pensava 'Oh minha nossa estou com um pouco de atraso! Não é que nunca tivesse acontecido, por isso não havia nada de mais, certo?'- Errado.

Passar o dia em frente a um computador fechada não ia ajudar, lembro-me de passar o dia todo a desejar que fosse o fim do dia para me pirar dali. O pior, é que a minha preguiça estava vista de todos, deambulando pelos corredores e fazendo qualquer tarefa como que tivesse a carregar o menir do Obelix.

As dores de cabeça também não ajudaram e o meu lado hipocondríaco dizia-me 'OK Oh meu Deus!!!! Tou gravemente doente! É isso! Todos estes sintomas são prova disso mesmo, uma doença qualquer muito provavelmente fulminante. Estou fraca, zonza, inchada...o atraso é já a falta de sangue no meu corpo!'. Primeiro passo: Procurar o médico da empresa. Que mal começo a falar diz-me:- que idade tem? -27 -responde sem olhar para mim-hum hum! Ok tome isto e isto....-pois sim, e isso é? -Pois acho que pode muito bem ter o vírus de uma gravidez, faça este teste assim que puder!

Saí do consultório um pouco irritada, pff é óbvio que não estou grávida. Nem sequer se preocupa em fazer testes para invalidar o facto que posso estar gravemente doente e pede-me um teste de gravidez, pois sim.

Durante dias andei com a credencial que o médico da empresa me dera para fazer o teste. Mas acreditava que a qualquer momento o meu período iria voltar e tudo estaria normal. Sempre fora assim, porque é que agora seria diferente? Namorara tanto tempo com o Taki, e nunca engravidara! Por isso não seria agora que sem estar preparada, no final de um relacionamento que pouco mais durou que o descongelar de um cubo de gelo. Agora que estava a estagiar e a iniciar a minha carreira? Agora que iria voltar a viajar depois do estágio? Agora que tinha a minha vida toda planeada? Agora que o meu relacionamento acabara e que estava sozinha? Não, decerto que não! Mas aquela credencial que espreitava da mala naquela cor verde, não me largava e não me deixava concentrar no futuro que tinha de organizar antes de ter um filho! Ai ai! Com as dívidas de estudante e o desemprego como é que eu poderia ter um filho logo agora?!

Mas para que é que eu me estava a preocupar se os médicos me haviam dito que para engravidar muito provavelmente teria de fazer tratamentos e ser vigiada. Há muito que queria ser mãe, aliás apesar dos meus 27 anos, era um sonho. Um sonho que se havia desfeito quando os médicos me disseram isso em Inglaterra onde estudava na altura. Apesar de acreditar que ainda seria mãe, excepto quando estava com a neura e achava que não iria ter essa sorte! Achava que esse tipo de bênção só estava reservado a certas pessoas. Mas naquela semana de Novembro de 2004, naquela altura não vinha nada a calhar! Ainda para mais ser o resultado de um relacionamento que acabara sem deixar mágoas, mas também sem qualquer sentimento!


Ammam, Jordan with HRH Princess Basma Bint Talal foto by Ana Baião (Jornal Exptresso) 2004 

Ainda bem que a semana acabara, estava deserta para ir passar o fim de semana com a minha mãe e irmãs. Assim poderia descansar a cabeça e deixar-me de pensamentos e dilemas que soassem a foto-novela. Já me estava a imaginar num quadradinho a preto e branco e um balão de pensamento a dizer:-'Tou tramada!' Mas o problema seria quando as visse. Temos e tínhamos aquele tipo de relacionamento que tudo contamos umas ás outras, e esconder não seria lá muito boa ideia. Porque desconfiavam logo e então faziam aquela cara de FBI na caça de algum criminoso. Somos assim umas para as outras. Naquela altura a nossa mãe ainda estava connosco. Um amor desmedido que nos levava a dizer tanto 'te amo' como 'vai á merda' mas não à minha mãe, credo! A minha mãe companheira para todas as situações era quem eu mais temia contar sequer, que estava com receio quanto mais uma possível confirmação. Só mesmo pela situação em si, porque de outra forma ficaria de imediato contente. Sonhava agora ser avó, estava doente e temia nunca a vir conhecer uma neta, a única que conheceu, infelizmente partiu em 2007. Mas como qualquer mãe extremosa, queria que fosse resultado duma situação estável e de um namoro...não assim.

Bem ao regressar a casa foi como temia. Assim que vi as minhas, na altura irmãs adolescentes, fiquei bamba. Passadas poucas conversas em que cuscamos sobre todas as possíveis novidades, abri a boca por entre lágrimas que caiam no meu agora avantajado decote: -Tou com medo de estar grávida! -disse. -Sério??? -esbracejou a Catarina, a mais nova de 14 anos com um sorriso maroto nos lábios. -Sónia...achas mesmo? Ai meu Deus! Tem calma- A muito atenta Mariana de 16 anos, com os olhos esbugalhados. E as três nos abraçamos como tantas outras vezes fizéramos como jura de amor eterno e apoio incondicional. Assim que chegamos a casa e depois das repetidas cusquices e gargalhadas semanais, fiquei só com a minha mãe e desabafei, contando os meus receios. 

Não houve muitas palavras, mas olhando-a nos olhos percebera que realmente não era a hora. Hora para nada daquilo. Por isso disse-me que faríamos o teste no dia seguinte para não restarem dúvidas. Assim foi, antes mesmo de me dirigir a uma clínica fui a uma farmácia e comprei o tal teste. Levei para casa e fi-lo. Sempre a pensar que seria 'negativo'! Sentei-me na sanita à espera, não fui capaz de deixar o aparelho nem por um segundo, nem fazer qualquer outra coisa enquanto esperava. Mas também não o conseguia confrontar. Até que o tempo passou e tive de enfrentar todos os meus medos...era Positivo!

'Positivo??? Como positivo? Positivo, assim a dizer que 'TÁS GRÁVIDA' positivo!'-pensei para mim mesma assustada. Chamei a minha mãe que logo foi seguida pelas duas Hobbits (Minhas irmãs!) a quem informei. Ai a cara delas! E eu, que estava eu a sentir? Que pensava eu de concreto? Os meu pensamentos entravam e saiam do meu cérebro a uma velocidade comparável ao dos 'Tunnings' de forma ilegal na auto-estrada!-'Ai mãe tou mesmo. Mesmo grávida! Mas pode não ser certo...ainda vou fazer o outro teste amanhã e tudo será confirmado...ou não...tenho que pensar bem....não se'- Fui brutalmente interrompida pela minha mãe que disse:- 'Tinhas mais juízo quando eras mais nova. Agora tens que assumir, tens 27 anos...ai meu Deus!-'Assumir o quê? Nem sei se isto é certo! Porquê agora que não tenho nada? Agora dele?Ai meu Deus!-Praguejei. Meu Deus?! Que teve Deus a ver com tudo isto? Não lhe pedira tantas vezes para ser mãe? Mas agora e daquele gajo?'

Fui fazer o teste na clínica...Confirmado. Eu no fundo já sabia, mas queria ter a certeza de que faria a coisa certa. Certa para mim e para a minha vida. Não pensei muito se tinha um ser dentro de mim, entretanto só calculava as consequências para a minha vida profissional. Faltei ao estágio com a desculpa de estar com asma, doença que sofro desde pequena, mas que poucas vezes se manifestou. No entanto serviu para me dar tempo para decidir. Procurei médicos, pesquisei na Internet e nem a visita de uma prima que acabara de ter gémeos me desmobilizou daquilo que eu teria de fazer.

As conversas com a minha mãe que pouco mais dizia além de:-Tu é que tens de decidir! Mas o tempo está a passar, lembra-te disso.- Mas os seus olhos diziam muito mais, e o mau humor das minhas irmãs aliados a uma tristeza inerente a uma situação que não podia ser levada de ânimo leve. O pior de tudo é quando fechava os olhos, lá estava ela...uma mão fechada pequena e gordinha de um bebe! Pensamento que me apertava o coração, mas que não me podia demover de todos os meus planos. Porque isso seria perder muita coisa, não seria? Nessa noite deitei-me mas não dormi e na manhã seguinte a minha mãe disse-me ao ouvido qualquer coisa que não percebi bem depois beijou-me na testa. Mais uma vez porque estaria eu a demorar tanto tempo para me decidir? 

Porque chorava tanto e porque me custava tanto admitir que se calhar já estava feliz por ser mãe? Que realmente as circunstâncias não eram as ideais e o timing não podia ser pior, mas era um bebe que eu sempre quis! 'Eu vou ser Mãe!’-disse alto, como uma afirmação. Mãe de um ser pequenino que mudará a minha vida para sempre e que me iluminará só com a sua presença! Assim que a minha mãe regressou a casa, anunciei com as minhas habituais lágrimas:- Sabes, eu sei que não vai ser fácil, mas eu quero este bebe! Ele é o meu bebé. Não posso, não o ter...se Deus me abençoou... -'Oh filha! A mãe fica tão mais descansada, mais feliz! Essa criança veio para nos abençoar filha...vai tudo correr bem, vais ver...eu estou aqui!' Ambas nos abraçamos gratificadas por esta decisão e felizes por nos termos umas às outras. Quando ia a sair de casa encontrou-se com a minhas Hobbits e contou-lhes a minha decisão, e quando entraram em casa apercebi-me que esta decisão afectara toda a família. Invadindo-a com uma felicidade enorme, uma decisão contrária afectaria de maneira incontornável.

Apesar dos obstáculos, esta seria realmente o início da melhor fase da minha vida. Confirmei este sentimento quando no dia seguinte, fui ao hospital com uma pequena dor de barriga. Queixas menores, mas quiseram-me observar. Mandaram-me despir e subir para uma maca com dois lados para colocar as pernas. Foi aí que me lembrei que não havia feito a depilação! Que vergonha, nós mulheres sujeitamo-nos mesmo a muita coisa e quando menos esperava espetaram-me com um objecto para me observarem por dentro... não fosse aquela posição semi-engraçada feita por uma médica que falava de tudo menos de mim com a enfermeira, eu não teria visto pela primeira vez o meu bebe! O seu coraçãozinho a bater.-Ai eu vou chorar!-disse e chorei mesmo. Quem não o faria? O coraçãozinho tão pequenino a bater com tanta força, garra. Senti que aquele coração já batia por mim e o meu por ele. Amor à primeira vista. Tinha agora toda a certeza do mundo que tinha tomado a decisão mais acertada de toda a minha vida! A felicidade morava finalmente dentro de mim.




Esta foi a minha escolha, a minha história isto porque tive e tenho a sorte de ter a família que tenho mas principalmente porque soube ouvir o meu Eu. Não quero obviamente dizer que este é o caminho de todas as mulheres que se encontram neste momento numa situação semelhante. Apesar de tudo, naquela altura eu já era uma mulher formada, já tinha alguma experiência profissional, carta de condução e até já tinha viajado alguma coisa. Não era contudo independente, aliás demorou ainda algum tempo a sê-lo como irei falar mais tarde. Eu tinha a informação toda disponível para evitar uma gravidez não planeada. Aconteceu, mas nada é por acaso e esta é a minha história. Cada mulher jovem ou madura deve essencialmente seguir o seu coração, o seu Eu e decidir. As pessoas à sua volta, devem aconselhar e indicar várias soluções sem julgar. A minha família sabia que eu iria enfrentar dificuldades, que não seria fácil fosse qual fosse a minha decisão. Mas apoiaram-me. Tenho muita sorte.

Note: Post originally posted on May 2005
Top Photo Ammam, Jordan foto by Rami Abdelrahman (Jordan Times) 2004 

amniotico

Sónia is the founder and writer of Amniotico- Parenting, Travel and Tales. She began this blog in 2005 with two posts about parenting, the year she had daughter Francisca. Then life happened. Now since 2014 with a whole new focus on Parenting and Travel. Sonia is also an international Human Rights and Elections expert and as such has worked with the United Nations and European Union in many parts of the globe, including conflict and war torn countries while being a single mom!